Students invited to the Daytime Program study dance with focus and intensity, 9:30am-3:30pm, Monday – Friday.
Pre-Professional Division Daytime classes are available for students on an audition only basis. Intended for middle school and high school students with alternative academic study options, the Daytime Program offers daily intensive training to prepare young dancers for a second-company experience. Pre-professional training provides students who are motivated and passionate for dance with a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum. Daily ballet and pointe classes are supplemented with a rotation of other disciplines such as modern, improv, jazz, contemporary, flamenco and character. Daytime students also will receive classes in variations, partnering, yoga, Progressing Ballet Technique, Pilates and seminars to enrich their ballet training.
5-Day Program: 20 hours total per week, M-F
Along with daily ballet technique, pointe, and men’s classes, students will take part in additional classes that may include:
- Beginner Acro
- Seminar/Study Hall
- Pas de Deux
- Anatomy for Dance
- Dance History
- Physical Maintenance
Daily Schedule Sample
|9:30 – 11:15 AM||Ballet Technique|
|11:15 – 12:00 PM||Pointe/ Men’s Class|
|12:00 – 12:45 PM||LUNCH|
|12:45 – 2:00 PM||Variations/Pas de Deux/Modern/Character|
|2:15 – 3:15 PM||Yoga/Pilates/PBT/Conditioning|
All Daytime classes will take place in-studio with staggered start and end times. Class sizes will have a limited capacity to ensure social distancing. Please read through the KCBS Health and Safety Protocols for more information on the steps we are taking to keep students safe and healthy.
2022-2023 School Year
8 Payments, Sep-April (No payment in May)
2 Payments, Sep and Jan
1 payment due at registration
$100 REGISTRATION FEE
Registration Fee includes one KCBS Elevé Uniform
Registration Fee is none refundable
Financial Aid may be awarded to students on a need-only basis. Limited resources are offered in this capacity by Kansas City Ballet School.
Housing is not currently provided for the KCBS Daytime Program.
Parents are responsible for their child’s academic education. We have some dedicated time built into the schedule which students should use for academic study, however, students should also expect to do academics at home in the evenings and/or on the weekends.
- Uniform Elevé leotard; this leotard should be worn for performances, evaluations, and KCB auditions.
- Additional black leotards in Capezio style CC100 or CC201
- “Ballet Pink” color Body Wrappers Total Stretch Mesh Seamed Convertible Tights
- “Black” color Body Wrappers Total Stretch Mesh Seamed Convertible Tights
- Light pink canvas Sansha split sole ballet shoes and sewn pointe shoes
- Optional flesh toned tights and shoes for ballet classes
- Uniform Black Elevé Tulip skirt – for pointe class only
- Character shoes and black character skirt
- Tan slip-on jazz shoes
- Blue Thera-band and Yoga Mat for conditioning
- Hair pulled back neatly and secure in a ballet appropriate hairstyle (see pg 1 for details)
- No jewelry or warm-ups may be worn in the classroom
- Uniform KCBS Elevé white t-shirt; this shirt should be worn for performances, evaluations, and KCB auditions
- Black M Stevens or Body Wrappers tights
- Dance belt
- White ballet shoes with thin, white socks
- For performance only: black ballet shoes with black socks
- Black slip-on jazz shoes
- Blue Thera-band and Yoga Mat for Conditioning
- Hair should be styled neatly and kept out of the face
- No jewelry or warm-ups may be worn in the classroom
Students are accepted into the Daytime Program by invitation or audition only. In order to be considered for an audition, please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have submitted all the below materials, students will be notified by email within two weeks of any next steps in the audition process. Students may be invited to attend an in-person audition at the Bolender Center.
- Daytime Program Audition Form
- $30 Audition Fee
- 3 Photos (Headshot, First arabesque, Tendu a la seconde)
- Video Audition: Female-identifying students should wear a simple, single-colored leotard, pink tights, and pink ballet shoes. Male-identifying students should wear a fitted white shirt, black, white or gray tights, and white or black ballet shoes.
Barre work (one side only)
- Rond de jambe
- Développé with fondu
- Grand battement
Center work (ladies on pointe)
- Pirouette combination
- Petit allegro
- Grand allegro
- Beginner pointe students, please complete center work on flat. Please add combination on pointe at barre with sous sus and échappé.
Gentlemen, please add:
- Tour en l’air
- Tours a la seconde
- Big jumps
KANSAS CITY YOUTH BALLET
Pre-Professional students may also be invited to participate in the school’s performing ensemble, Kansas City Youth Ballet. KCYB, under the direction of Kimberly Cowen and Dmitry Trubchanov, produces two performances each school year. Space is limited.
YOUTH AMERICAN GRAND PRIX (YAGP)
Dancers in the Pre-Professional Program have the opportunity to compete in the Youth American Grand Prix, by invitation only.
END OF SCHOOL YEAR PERFORMANCE
All Kansas City Ballet School students have an end-of-the-year performance opportunity in May.
KCBS hosts two annual watch weeks for families, one in the fall and one in the spring (see the school calendar for dates).
Pre-Professional students have the opportunity to audition for company productions such as The Nutcracker.