Entering the Building
- Students should arrive for class no more than 15 minutes before class start time. Class times are staggered to limit cross-over between classes.
- KCBS staff will take your child’s temperature just inside the doors and ask a few health questions. If a child has a fever over 100 degrees, they will NOT be admitted into either campus.
- The decision to allow students into the building rests solely on KCB staff.
- Parents are not allowed into the building at either campus except in case of emergency. Parents should wait in the car or drop off area until their student has been admitted into the building. Students may text parents once they are in. You may walk your child to the door, and wait on the sidewalk on the marks designating safe distancing. We ask that parents who are waiting outside to drop off or pick up students wear a mask (this does not apply to those who wait in their car). Please do not leave until you know your child has been admitted into the building. This may take a few minutes as temperatures will be taken just inside the doors. Once you see your child enter wait a few minutes before driving away.
- All students must wear a mask to enter the Bolender Center and the Johnson County Campus.
- Students must arrive in their dance clothes under street clothes, with masks on, and their own equipment (e.g. mat). Dressing Rooms will not be available to students. Do not wear ballet shoes outside.
- Studio assignments will be sent at the start of the semester, and changes will be emailed as needed, so students know which studio they are in. Schedules will not be posted at the base of the stairs. If they have any questions about the schedule, the security guard at Bolender Center or school staff at either campus can assist. Social distancing will be maintained during these interactions.
Bolender Center Campus
- Students should use hand sanitizer located at the station at the base of the main staircase upon entering the building unless they have contacted KCBS about a skin sensitivity. Students with a skin sensitivity or condition should use their own hand sanitizer.
- Bolender Center Students will be directed in one of two ways. They will either be asked to line up on designated marks and wait to be escorted to their classroom or they will be asked to go directly up to the chairs outside their assigned studio.
- When using the stairwell maintain social distance keep to the right and only use the banister as needed. Follow all directional signs for proper path to your designated studio.
- Once at designated chairs, students should put on their ballet shoes and gather all items they will need to take into the studio (pre-filled water bottles, hand sanitizer, pointe shoes etc.).
- Do not enter the studio until a teacher or KCBS staff has instructed you to do so
Johnson County Campus
- At the Johnson County Campus, students will enter the studios from the exterior doors and not the lobby entrance. Studio doors will be labeled appropriately. Students should wait outside of the building for the Teacher to open the studio door. As soon as the teacher has opened the door, students may enter the studio and take their assigned spots.
- Johnson County Students will keep their dance bags under the barre in their designated spaces.
In the Studio
- Upon arrival at their classroom, Students will go to the first available numbered chair outside their assigned studio, or designated space at the Johnson County campus, and place their dance bag on the chair, cover-ups in their bag and street shoes under the chair.
- During this time, large dance bags are not permitted, only small bags to hold their dance shoes and coverups. Any cell phones must be on silent or off during class and remain inside their small dance bag.
- Studios are clearly marked in tape to delineate individual spaces in the center and barre spaces.
- Students should wait at their chair for the Teacher to open the studio door. As soon as the teacher is in the studio, and has opened the door, students may enter the studio one at a time and take their assigned spots at the barre, correlating to their chair number. The Teacher will tell students where to go for the first class, and students will use their classroom spot throughout the week, unless otherwise instructed.
- Students must stay within their assigned barre and center areas. As studio sizes vary, students will be given at least an 8 ft x 6 ft space minimum in each classroom. Teachers may rotate the students, on a daily basis, in the center of the room, to ensure that every student gets to be in front, keeping safety protocol in mind. Students will remain in their designated square for the entirety of class on one day, but may be asked to be in a different center square on another day
- Masks must be worn at all times within the building, even when dancing. Students should bring multiple masks to change throughout the day as moisture from breathing and perspiring affects the effectiveness of the mask. Extra masks should be kept in a separate bag within the Student’s dance bag to minimize contamination.
- Dancing with a mask will take some time to adjust to. If a student feels unwell and we think it is due to adjusting to wearing a mask while dancing, we will ask them to sit down for a few minutes and have a drink. Students must go to their designated barre space and face the wall (away from the other students), at which time they can raise their mask, have a drink of water and breathe freely. If they do not feel better after a rest, we will call the parents to come pick up their child, and the student will be brought down to an isolated holding area until their parents arrive.
- Students who are at the Bolender Center during lunch will eat at their assigned space in the hall. Older Students may be escorted to eat lunch outside.
- Teachers will wipe the barres with sanitizing wipes after class.
- Students should keep their own hand sanitizer with them to augment KCB supplies, and to address any skin allergies to standard products.
- Students will only be allowed to use the bathroom one at a time and only for emergencies. Teachers will open classroom doors for exit and entry. Students must use hand sanitizer before using the bathrooms at our facilities and must only use the stalls designated for students.
- Dressing rooms are not available to students.
- Students should bring pre-filled water bottles. Water fountains will not be in operation. Water bottle filling stations will be installed. Vending machines and microwaves are also off limits.
Exiting the Building
- At the end of class, the Teacher will open the studio door and excuse Students to their designated chairs or space where their belongings are being kept.
- After putting on cover ups and gathering their belongings.
- Students at the Bolender Center will exit the building by using the main staircase and staying to the right-hand side.
- Students at the Johnson County Campus will exit the building via the main lobby or external door.
- Students will be escorted by a teacher or KCBS staff to the designated exit.
- Students should observe physical distancing of 6 ft on their way out of the building and while waiting to be picked up.
- Students must be picked up at the designated pick-up location within the 15 minutes following their class to avoid cross-over of students.
General Guidelines & Safety Protocols
- FACE COVERINGS: Students must wear a mask at all times within the building even when dancing. Students should bring multiple masks to change throughout the day as moisture from breathing and perspiring affects the effectiveness of the mask. Extra masks should be kept in a separate bag within the Student’s dance bag to minimize contamination.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING: 6 feet physical distancing must be maintained through the building. There will be no physical correction given in class. There will be no physical contact between Students.
- LIMITED CLASS SIZES: Enrollment will be limited based on maximum number of students that can safely occupy the assigned studio with a goal of 8-15 students at a time in the studio per class (some classes will have 2 sections of students, with half virtual and half in the studio). All students will be given a minimum space of 8 ft x 6 ft in their assigned studio.
- DESIGNATED STUDENT SPACES: Students will be assigned a space for their gear, a space at the barre and a space in the center. Dressing rooms and lockers will not be accessible. Bathrooms can be used one at a time only in cases of emergency.
- PERSONAL PROTECTION: Students are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer and pre-filled water bottles.
- BUILDING PATHWAYS: Students should only use the main staircase for traveling throughout the building, staying to the right hand side for entrance and exit and avoid using handrails if possible. Please follow signs for correct pathways to studios.
- ADDITIONAL CLEANING: Faculty will clean/disinfect studio spaces between classes as well as numbered chairs. Studios will be cleaned professionally every evening after classes are finished. Water fountains will be closed, and water bottle filling stations will be available. Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available throughout the building. Floors will be wiped down between classes of different levels.
- Failure to comply with safety protocol may be grounds for dismissal from the program.
- If the state mandates a total shut-down, we will move to 100% virtual through Zoom.
In case of a COVID-19 Case
If a STUDENT Becomes symptomatic while at Kansas City Ballet:
- The Student will be promptly isolated in a pre-assigned isolation room by security or a member of KCBS staff.
- Student’s parent/guardians will be notified to pick up the Student.
- Student will seek medical help on their own.
- All Students and Faculty who have been in ‘close contact’ with the Student will be notified. ‘Close contact’ is defined by CDC as being within 6 ft of an infected person without Personal Protective Equipment or PPE.
If a Student tests positive:
- The Class (group) will be suspended to virtual classes for 2 weeks, and then will be reinstated into the in-studio schedule.
- Students who test positive must quarantine for 2 weeks and provide a doctor’s note proving a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to classes.
- The studio will be deep-cleaned before Students are allowed back into the affected studio. Assigned studios may be modified to accommodate cleaning.
- KCBS will notify local health officials.
If a Teacher or Accompanist tests positive:
- All Students and Faculty who have been in ‘close contact’ with the Faculty who tested positive will be notified. ‘Close contact’ is defined by CDC as being within 6 ft of an infected person without PPE.
- Faculty who test positive must quarantine for 2 weeks and provide a doctor’s note to return to classes.
- All of the affected Faculty’s classes will be suspended to virtual classes for 2 weeks, and then will be reinstated into the in-studio schedule.
- The studio will be deep-cleaned before Students and Faculty are allowed back into the affected studio(s). Assigned studios may be modified to accommodate cleaning.
- KCBS will notify local health officials.